Sunday 31 May 2015

Sketches in the field

Blind contour drawing at station

Blind contour drawing at Bingo entrance


Blind contour drawing at station
Today I got started on my quick drawings of people.  Off to local town on a Sunday afternoon with a small sketchbook and ink pen for about 45 minutes 

Observations:
  • difficult to find somewhere to draw without embarassing anyone including myself
  • people VERY quickly sense that they are being drawn
  • I am so used to working with a camera that this feels new
  • People usually move quickly, eventually I settled for fast blind contour drawing as the best technique and also as practice for this approach  
  • This worked and I enjoyed it
  • These sketches can be reviewed and reworked afterwards and the anatomy thought through, most important is to get the energy and meaning in.-
  • Very different drawing people from horses, I suppose their body language is obscured by the fact that we have a complex language and technology as well, also I am a human so I am part of the situation.
  • people not used to being drawn, it feels invasive and more obvious than photography
  • privacy an issue which is not the case with animals.
  • also people wear clothes 
  • there is no "framework" such as life class situation or a formal studio where the rules have been agreed upon. 
  • weather showery and blustery, so returned home, decided to create a blog so that I would have a framework to practice

No comments:

Post a Comment